Friday, July 6, 2012

Fourth of July Fun

SNOW CONE CUPCAKES


 


I found these on Pinterest (HERE) and knew I had to make them.  I loved how the sugar crystals on top made them look like snow cones. And the cake inside matched the icing colors outside.  So fun!  The directions sounded easy enough so I gave it a go.  First you dye the batter, then spoon the batter into three different pastry bags, then tape the bags together so they are at the same level and simply fill the muffin cups. 

 Sounds simple enough, but I should have known better!  For some reason, me and pastry bags do not get along.  I get messy, my kitchen gets messy, my language gets messy.  As you can see, it looks like my three-year-old filled them.  Fortunately, they came out better than they went in.  

Once the icing and sugar crystals were on, they looked presentable.  And I was happy with how cute they looked when bitten into.  Plus, the kids gobbled them up, so that was good enough for me!










4th Of July TRIFLE

This was super easy and fun.  I bought little pound cakes and used a star cookie cutter to cut stars out.  I used the cake scraps and started layering them with the stars, strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream till I got to the top.  It went about as fast as it took to make it!

INDEPENDENCE DAY PUNCH

This was so cool (again, thank you, Pinterest)!  I never knew you could layer drinks, but you can!  I just wish I would have added more cranberry juice at the beginning so the layers were more even, but over all it was a neat effect.  And it came out purple; the kids thought it was magical.

The picture just wasn't doing it justice, so my cute dad tried to help me out by setting up a spotlight.  Thanks, dad, that looks pretty!


You can get the science and directions of it HERE.  
I had a lot of fun getting into the spirit of the Fourth with these fun recipes.  And I went to 2 BBQs!  What a great day!



1 comment:

  1. These all look so great! Hope you had a great 4th! (it sounds like you did!)

    ReplyDelete