Wednesday, September 19, 2012

BAKE 52: WEEK 38

Make Ahead French Toast Casserole


I love a breakfast dish that I can make the night before and throw in the oven the next morning.   So, I was excited to try the Make Ahead French Toast Casserole, hoping to add a new recipe to my breakfast casseroles.
Unfortunately, this recipe did not make the cut.  The name sounds yummy, the taste not so much.  It was more of a quiche than anything, and even though I mostly like quiches, I don't when they try to pass off as french toast.
I'm not really sure what I was expecting, something amazing I guess.  Even the buttery brown sugar topping didn't do much for me.  The whole thing was bland and yet, oddly enough, too heavy and rich (if that can even happen) and too many calories to even justify (and I am the queen of justifying calories).     
It's always fun to try new things, though, and find what works for your family.  Valerie was our host this week and you can get the recipe at her blog, HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you. I really expected something grand from this recipe. I was sadly disappointed. I almost got on facebook and told everyone not to make it but I figured there may be some that would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to fight your for the title of 'Queen of Justifying Calories'! I bet I could give you a run for your money! :) Sorry it wasn't a keeper!

    ReplyDelete