Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bake 52: Week 5

7 LAYER BARS
Whenever something starts with a graham cracker base, you know its going to be good.  Layer on the toffee bits, Rice Krispies, pecans, chocolate chips, coconut, and sweetened condensed milk and you get sinfully good!  Thanks to Jesse who hosted this week, you can get the recipe at her blog HERE.

I have a different 7 layer recipe that I have used forever, and I absolutely love, but it always crumbles apart.  After making Bake 52's recipe, I have come up with The Perfect recipe for 7 layer bars.  I kind of married the two and this is their offspring:
  • Add the toffee bits as part of a layer instead of in with the crust.  The flavor gets lost in the crust.
  • Add butterscotch chips.  This is simply a must, even if you are not a butterscotch fan (which I'm not).
  • Use the two cans of sweetened condensed milk.  It keeps it all together and it is just that much yummier.
  • Omit the Rice Krispies and pecans.  I think Rice Krispies get a little chewy hard in these kind of recipes and with the crunch of the toffee bits, you really wont miss the pecans--unless your a fan, then by all means, add them.
As for the original Bake 52 Seven Layer Bars, they were still really good!  And if you have the will power to let them sit for a day, they are even better!


2 comments:

  1. They were really good the next day weren't they?! I am going to have to try butterscotch next time, and I like the idea of the toffee chips being a layer instead of in with the crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks great! Mine didn't turn out super pretty, but they sure were yummy!

    ReplyDelete